In 1860 the General Assembly gave approval to the forming of a new congregation in Lisburn. Services were held in a Hay Loft in Castle Street, led by the Rev. John Powell, a minister without charge from the Presbytery of Dublin. In 1861 the new congregation proceeded to make out a call to a minister. It was found that the majority favored Mr. David John Clarke. Within the congregation there were also those who were equally anxious to call Mr. Powell. Those who were offended by his rejection seceded with Mr. Powell and began holding services in a carpenter’s shop, fitted up for the purpose. When he had organised a congregation Mr. Powell applied to the original Secession Synod for admission and was installed in 1861. In 1863 a Mr. Sloan kindly offered a site for a meeting-house of the new congregation. This was accepted and in due time a building was erected.
In 1880 Mr. Powell resigned owing to ill health and on 8th August 1880 the Rev. John William Gamble of Cootehill Original Secession congregation was installed. In 1887 he and the congregation of Lisburn (Sloan Street) were received into the General Assembly and a new church was built in 1900.
The next minister was the Rev. James Morrow (lic. Limavady). He resigned in 1930 on receiving a call to Warrenpoint, after a ministry of nine years. His successor was the Rev. Wilbur W. Pyper of Killymurris who was installed on 3rd July 1930. He accepted a call to Belfast: Agnes Street on 21st March 1932.
The Rev. Andrew Fullerton of Aughnacloy was called to succeed Mr. Pyper and he was installed here on 27th July 1932, to exercise a fine ministry until he retired on 30th September 1951. He died on 28th December 1951.
Mr. James McAllister (lic. Ballymena) was called to succeed him. Ordained on 28th November 1951, it was during his ministry that extensive renovations were carried out in the church, and a new Church Hall was built. He accepted a call to Megain Memorial Church, Belfast, on 15th April 1964 to be followed by Rev. James Walker Neilly, formerly of Tobermore. After his installation on 16th September 1964 Mr. Neilly accepted a call to Immanuel Church, Belfast, on 20th June 1973.
The next minister – the seventh – was Rev. David Johnston of Donacloney. He was installed on 15th November 1973 and amid much regret accepted a call to Orangefield congregation, Belfast. He resigned on 18th May 1976.
The most recent minister, the Rev. William John Keefe, was installed in Sloan Street on 2nd December 1976 and retired from the ministry on 2nd January 2011. During his ministry several auxiliary rooms were added to the rear of the meeting-house in 1992 and in 2001 a new church hall was erected and improvements made to the original church hall complex.